Behavior Therapy: First, Second, and Third Waves (Original PDF from Publisher)
By William O’Donohue, Akihiko Masuda
This book provides a comprehensive overview of first, second, and third wave behavior therapies, comparing and contrasting their relative strengths and weaknesses. Recent discussion and research has focused intently on third wave behavior therapies, in particular Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). This is in contrast with first wave behavior therapies (what today might be called applied behavior analysis or clinical behavior therapy) and second wave behavior therapies brought about by the “cognitive revolution”. The editors aim to provide a fuller understanding of this psychotherapeutic paradigm, tracking how behavior therapies have evolved through history and various paradigm shifts in the field.
To this end, the book is organized into five sections covering:
- Introduction to the three waves of behavior therapy
- Assessment and measurement strategies
- Comparative issues and controversies
- Applications of the three waves of behavior therapy to 7 major disorders: anxiety, depression, obesity, psychosis, substance abuse, ADHD, and chronic pain
- Implications of and future directions for behavior therapies
This volume provides a useful perspective on the evolution of cognitive behavior therapy that will inform the study and practice of a variety of mental health professionals.
- Publisher : Springer; 1st ed. 2022 edition (18 Oct. 2022)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 820 pages
- ISBN-10 : 3031116763
- ISBN-13 : 978-3031116766