Plant Biochemistry, 2nd Edition (Original PDF from Publisher)
Plant Biochemistry focuses on the molecular and cellular aspects of each major metabolic pathway and sets these within the context of the whole plant. Using examples from biomedical, environmental, industrial and agricultural applications, it shows how a fundamental understanding of plant biochemistry can be used to address real-world issues. It illustrates how plants impact human activity and success, in terms of their importance as a food supply and as raw materials for industrial and pharmaceutical products, and considers how humans can benefit from exploiting plant biochemical pathways.
All chapters in this second edition have been substantially revised to incorporate the latest research developments, and case studies include updates on progress in developing novel plants and plant products. The artwork, now in full color, superbly illustrates the key concepts and mechanisms presented throughout.
- Presents each topic from the cellular level to the ecological and environmental levels, placing it in the context of the whole plant.
- Biochemical pathways are represented as route maps, showing how one reaction interacts with another both within and across pathways.
- Includes comprehensive reading lists with descriptive notes to enable students to conduct their own research into topics they wish to explore further
- The wide-ranging approach of this book emphasizes the importance of teaching and learning plant biochemical pathways within the framework of what the pathway does and why it is needed.
- Illustrates the fundamental significance of plants, in terms of their importance as a food supply, as raw materials and as sources of novel products.
Plant Biochemistry is invaluable to undergraduate students who wish to gain insight into the relevance of plant metabolism in relation to current research questions and world challenges. It should also prove to be a suitable reference text for graduates and researchers who are new to the topic or who wish to broaden their understanding of the range of biochemical pathways in plants.
- Publisher:Garland Science; 2nd edition (March 10, 2021)
- Hardcover:490 pages
- eText ISBN: 9781000327953
- Item Weight:2.35 pounds
- Dimensions:8.3 x 1.2 x 11.1 inches