Utilizing Effective Risk Communication in COVID-19 (Original PDF from Publisher)
This book demonstrates how a novel decision-aid, called a Benefit-Risk Characterization Theater (BRCT), can be used to:
· Significantly improve accurate communication of health risks from exposure to COVID-19; and
· Assess how to best contain and control COVID-19.
To date, there have been far-reaching ramifications based on ineffective risk communication when clarifying these health endpoints.
A BRCT is a familiar, theatrical chart representation of 1,000 people, with the risks and benefits shown by blackened seats. Since health outcomes can easily be put into such a chart, we show how BRCTs can be used objectively by professionals, the media and lay people. It allows characterization and communication of health benefits and risks of COVID-19 treatment and containment in an undemanding and straightforward way.
BRCTs have been successfully used to assist patients in determining:
· Their level of acceptable risk of various medical interventions;
· If the benefits of intervention outweigh the risks;
· Who should make the final decision regarding medical intervention; and
· Whether the decision is evidence-based.
Written by experts in the field, this book fills in a gap in communication between the medical community, the public and patients. It also provides an area of expertise in communication that is beneficial for medical providers and medical students.
- Publisher: Springer International Publishing; August 13, 2021
- Language: English
- ISBN: 978-3030745202
- ISBN: 9783030745202
- eText ISBN: 9783030745219